It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:43 pm

Cam Shopping, Need Help!! 

Post Cam Shopping, Need Help!!
Hey guys,

Well I am getting a 350 for my truck soon and of course I can't leave it be.

I already have a nice dual plane intake, edelbrock carb, and headers.

First on my list is a cam, something for bottom end torque without having to change out the valve springs. I am clueless when it comes to came selection and knowing what all of the specs mean. I am trying to do this on the cheap but don't want crap either. I plan on lifters, pushrods, and valve seals while I'm at. Along with all gasket and timing chain.

Is there anything else that I'm missing that is known for wearing out in the old 350's that i should look into replacing?

Also, cam wise, help. I looked a little but I don't know what I'm really looking at. Below is one i thought would be okay.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-CL12-239-3/

If you guys know of a good write up online to explain cam specs and such in laymen terms, please share.

I need all the help I can get since semi-building a motor like this is something I've never done.

Thanks in advance guys!!!! :cheers

Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:28 pm

Post Re: Cam Shopping, Need Help!!
You can call comp cams and ask what they recommend. That cam seams to be ok for what you are looking for.
Does it have a carb or injected?
If you want some help w/ the build i can come down and show you. And make sure you break the cam in properly if its a flat tappet. I would also recommend and oil pan gasket. If the motor has been sitting for any length of time the cork gaskets dry out and leak like crazy. One thing to know is that gaskets need clean dry surfaces to seal. And don't get crazy w/ the permatex a little bit goes a long way. And remember cleanliness is godliness. Keep all the dirt and debris out of the motor. Use a shop vac and vacuum off the intake area tape all your ports and anything that goes to your oil galleys.

1969 Camaro Z-28
434 cu/in, P/G, and way too much NOS
915 rwhp SOLD

2005 Dodge Ram 2500
Cummins with auto

1998 Silverado
383 cu/in, auto, with multi port

Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:24 am
Profile YIM

It is a carbed motor. It's a pre 86 350.

I will definitely call comp cams and get their recommendation.

Cam and Lifter wise what do you suggest. Flat tappet or what?

Thanks Chris!! I just might take you up on that offer!

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:20 pm

With a flat solid tappet i would like to see you use a set of roller rockers but not needed. A hydraulic flat will be less maintenance and less noise. And the same goes for roller lifters except you dont need to break them in. But they are more money. If it were me i would buy a flat solid tappet. How much do you plan on driving it? If it is just a weekend truck or a something along those lines you will want to put an additive in your oil like BG rf7 or something along that line. It will keep your cam and tappets alive from start up after sitting for long periods of time.

1969 Camaro Z-28
915 rwhp SOLD

2005 Dodge Ram 2500
Cummins with auto

1998 Silverado

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:59 pm
Profile YIM

This truck is going to be a weekend, hunting, working, bad weather truck. I will probably do some bushing with it too.

I would like the engine/truck be as little maintenance as possible.

Can you explain your reasoning with the cam - hydraulic vs flat tappet?

Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:54 am

I like solid tappet cams they are tried and tested, I have never had one fail. Plus you can put oil restrictors in the back oil galleys and put the oil where it is needed more on the rotating assy. Now this is just my preference. The hyd has been around forever also but they are know to fail, if you do decide to go hyd DO NOT buy comp lifters they are garbage. We have had more of their lifter fail than any other.

Now dont get me wrong with what you are looking to do w/ this, a hyd lifter will be perfectly fine and happy in your motor. As i said I like solids. But hyd are less maintenance to no maintenance. Its all up to you do you or are you willing to pull the valve covers once or twice a yr to check valve lash. Or do you want to set them and forget it.?

1969 Camaro Z-28
915 rwhp SOLD

2005 Dodge Ram 2500
Cummins with auto

1998 Silverado

Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:30 pm
Profile YIM

Is setting valve lash about a 20-30 minute job? With how open the engine is I wouldn't be too bothered to have to check them twice a year.

Hydraulic is really attractive since there is almost no maintenance.

Other then cam, lifters, and push rods. What else do I need for either case scenario, hydraulic or solid tappet?

Chris- Thanks for bearing with me here, I'm learning as I go with this. :thumb

Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:00 pm

When you talk to comp make sure you ask them if your stock springs are going to be compatible. If not your going to have to buy a top half kit. Comp sells the entire kit needed with certain cam setups. Your going to need gaskets. Intake, pan, timing cover, vc. I can get you everything pretty cheap. And the pan gasket we use are better than the cork style. Also if you have to change springs and the motor has mileage on it this would be the perfect time to put new valve guide seals on it. For like $15 its worth the extra effort. I have the tools needed to do the springs and valve guide seals.

1969 Camaro Z-28
915 rwhp SOLD

2005 Dodge Ram 2500
Cummins with auto

1998 Silverado

Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:45 pm
Profile YIM

Depending on the mileage I planned on doing the valve seals as I hear they are know to wear out and it would be much easier with the engine on a stand to tear it all done. I plan on buying a complete gasket set for the engine, like you said the cork gaskets will probably be a source for leaks so might as well go with rubber right away while it's easy to change out.

I will definitely ask comp about the springs and see what they say depending on cam choice.

Also, you said that comp's hydraulic lifters aren't that good. What brand/kind do you suggest that aren't pricey?

Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:31 pm

Let me say this comp lifters are not the best but with that said their hyd roller lifters are not too bad we have had some good luck with them. The rest of them we have not. Morrel is what i would use. It is up to you if you want to use their lifters the chances that you have problems with your motor would be slim, since usually we see problems with higher performance motors your not going to be running high spring pressures which is what usually kills them, or improper break in. If you buy their kit and there would be a problem they would be more willing to exchange or work with you if you use all of their parts, just something's to keep in mind also.

Btw watch using the rubber oil pan gaskets they have a tendency to leak out the front and rear of the pan also. We use a coated 4 pc pan gasket and they work extremely well. If you like i can get you the gasket set that we use all the time. We use felpro gaskets and the vc gasket w/ the steel insert.

1969 Camaro Z-28
915 rwhp SOLD

2005 Dodge Ram 2500
Cummins with auto

1998 Silverado

Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:02 pm
Profile YIM

Also it will only take a few hours to do all this so its no big deal if you want my help just give a fews days notice of when you want to do it.
And dont take it the wrong way when I say that comp lifters are junk there are a lot of people running them with no problems i am just trying to give you a heads up with what I see at the shop. I dont want to scare you away from them I am just giving you my opinion. I personally dont care for their flat tappet lifters. With that said I have their new short pump up roller lifters in my motor. I am kind of the Ginny pig for them cuz we never used them before.

If you want give me a call i work 3rd shift and im usually up till abt 10 or 11 am. And im up usually after 6pm.
570-204-3494.
I can explain some of this easier over the phone then on hear.

1969 Camaro Z-28
915 rwhp SOLD

2005 Dodge Ram 2500
Cummins with auto

1998 Silverado

Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:11 pm
Profile YIM

Thanks!!

I will be getting in touch with you once I finally get the engine.

Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:03 pm