It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:37 am

Heads 

Post Heads
I have a question regarding thoughts on porting stock heads vs buying aftermarket. I am looking to start doing some work to my TA and want to do a head and cam set up on it. After doing that on my Camaro and then going back to a stock LS1, there is a lot left to be desired. I was looking at picking up a set of 243's and sending them out to be ported and throwing a cam (thinking the torquer V2 from Texas Speed) in it, but given the cost of the heads and port work, it is almost comparable to some of the aftermarket heads that are available. I am looking for the best bang for my buck.

02 WS6 convertible, M6, 4.10s, mostly stock for now

Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:12 pm

Post Re: Heads
If your gonna do the port work yourself it will be way cheaper, but if your gonna pay to have the head work done it's prob best to just buy aftermarket. the aftermarket head packages with cnc work are tough to beat for price, cnc'do head are always better than any hand ported heads,

1969 Camaro Z-28
434 cu/in, P/G, and way too much NOS
915 rwhp SOLD

2005 Dodge Ram 2500
Cummins with auto

1998 Silverado
383 cu/in, auto, with multi port

Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:46 pm
Profile YIM

Like Chris said, you may be better off going aftermarket. Figure a couple hundred for 300, plus another 800+ on porting is awfully close to a decent set of used aftermarket heads.

If you can minimize the costs, then it's worth it. :cheers

2011 Cadillac CTS-V part time DD / money pit

Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:03 am
Profile WWW

I would save up the money and get aftermarket heads. I have a set of ported 243 heads from Texas Speed. I wanted to save a little money and figured these heads would fit the bill. They have done pretty good and Ryan got them to make 442rwhp. If I had gone with a good set of AFR or Trickflow heads I would be making more. I don't think the peak would be so much more, but they seem to make more power throughout the rev band. That means a faster car. I wish I would have saved The extra money and gotten the aftermarket heads. You should be able to find a set of used aftermarket heads out there and save yourself some money.

Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:46 pm

We are a dealer for afr, brodix, rhs, and edelbrock. If you want a price on a set lmK,

Just for reference, port work costs at the shop are $165 for bowl blend, this is the most important area of the head Imo, and if you don't know what a bowl blend is this is the area around the valve seat and the guide boss, $160 for intake port match, that is a gasket match and abt an 1 1/2 into the runner for blending. Exhaust side port match is $165 abt the same as the intake side gasket match then blend into the port abt an 1", or you can go all in and do a fully ported head. That ranges from $600 to $800 depending on how big and or how much material has to be removed, generally guys who are looking for full port work these days already have the heads and are looking for more out of them, but if you have to purchase the heads your better off going aftermarket, there are several company's out there who are doing custom cnc work too , only down fall is turnaround time and price some of these guys are charging $1000+, I don't do near the amount of port work I used to the head packages today are too economical,

1969 Camaro Z-28
434 cu/in, P/G, and way too much NOS
915 rwhp SOLD

2005 Dodge Ram 2500
Cummins with auto

1998 Silverado
383 cu/in, auto, with multi port

Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:28 am
Profile YIM