It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:21 pm

Quick product review: Meguiar's DA Microfiber Correction sys 
Site Admin

Post Quick product review: Meguiar's DA Microfiber Correction sys
I recently got my Grand National back after spending about ten weeks in Stump's "boneyard." The car was in desperate need of some TLC. I had been debating how I was going to tackle this job for a few days. The paint is dangerously thin in some spots, and is either without clear or has been resprayed in single-stage in others, so I'm really hesitant about using a machine polisher on it. I planned to go soft, even though I would probably leave a majority of the defects behind - then I remembered the Meguiar's Microfiber Correction system I purchased last season, and I figured this would be a good time to see what it could do.

Here is a link to the kit: http://www.detailedimage.com/Meguiars-M ... P519/6-S1/

Now, I only purchased the "D300 correction compound" and the 6" microfiber cutting discs since I already have quite a few products I could use to finish with (plus I don't need an apron :) ). Turns out I didn't need any other products. The D300 / cutting disc combo took care of a lot of the minor problems and finished down quite nicely in one step. I did still need to use an abrasive polish and traditional foam pads for some of the more severe scratches and things. I had read that this stuff worked best when applied with a fair amount of pressure, and that was definitely true. Also I had to stop and clean the pads a lot (basically after every panel, two if I was lucky) since they kept getting clogged with black paint and crud, but that is just a problem with this car. A little bit of product goes a long way, and there is very little dusting (something that really annoys me). The "finishing polish" is supposed to be an all-in-one type thing, but without this I chose to put a coat of Adam's Buttery Wax over a coat of Chemical Guys' EZ Creme Glaze. Overall I think this is a great system for you guys that like to keep your cars looking great, but don't need to buy every single product out there to try *pointing finger at myself*. You will need to get a dual-action polisher like the Porter Cable 7424 for the best results, if you don't already have one. Of course, I was too focused (or lazy) to take pictures of the entire process, but I will try and get some new pics of the car up here real soon.

1987 Buick Grand National

Sun May 06, 2012 10:06 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Quick product review: Meguiar's DA Microfiber Correction sys
Good info, Steve. After my car as been sitting the garage so long with no attention, this may be what's needed to get it back to it's former self.

Mon May 07, 2012 6:58 am

I don't see any pics, there for none of this happened. PROOF is in the pics! :greetings10 :lmao4

Tue May 08, 2012 12:29 pm
Site Admin

I would love to get some new pics of the car up, if it stops raining this month. Of course, I'll probably need to wash it again anyway...

Tue May 08, 2012 3:56 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Great info... I almost bought this last fall to try on the Black car.
Sounds like I need to now :grin

I want something to use for touch ups everynow and again that will not take
tons of paint with it. Most of what I deal with on this car is light scratches from
looking at it cross eyed or something like that.

Tom

2011 Corvette GS Conv. Cyber Grey
2002 Avalanche 2500
2009 HD Fat Bob
Carol's Slider...
2015 Subaru Legacy Limited... 3.6 liters of AWD "luxurious" fury.
My Slider...
2013 Chevy Volt... 96hp Generator and "Sport mode"

Sun May 13, 2012 4:23 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I rewashed the car yesterday, and threw a coat of Blackfire carnauba paste wax on top (I haven't used a paste wax in probably close to 20 years). I took some pics but they didn't come out so great :|

Sun May 13, 2012 5:16 pm
Profile WWW