It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:58 am

Quick product review: Nanoskin Autoscrub pad 
Site Admin

Post Quick product review: Nanoskin Autoscrub pad
It's the one step that will make or break a detail: claying. It will also make or break my back. When it's good, life is sweet. When it's bad, :banghead Heck, I had some old lady come by my garage the other day asking me if I could "put mud" on her car like her old lady friend had done. I'm thinking, "Sure, I'll just run it around Shen Penn. Be back in twenty minutes!" Turns out she was taking about claying the car :? So I saw some reviews about this product touted as the "future" of claying: The Nanoskin Autoscrub pad. Basically it is a rubber-skinned, foam-backed pad for the Porter Cable that is supposed to replace a claybar. I was skeptical, but it was getting some good reviews, so I sprung for it in a recent order. It comes in 4" and 6" sizes, and fine and medium grades. I got the larger 6" size (figured I could tackle the bigger panels easier), fine grade pad.
Today I had a detail of a brand new, bright white Honda Civic scheduled. Well, it was brand new in "model year" at least. This car goes back and forth from Shenandoah to Hershey on a daily basis and had built up some nasty contamination. I clayed the roof using a traditonal claybar and realized I was going to be in for a loooong day at this rate. Enter the Nanoskin pad (hey, it wasn't my car ;) ). I washed the next panel (hood) and primed the Nanoskin pad with some Blackfire clay lube I've had sitting around forever (since I usually don't use clay lube; I just use the car wash soap as my lubricant). On speed 1.5, I started polishing the still wet hood with the lubricated pad. This thing was erasing all sorts of crap! Panel after panel, I was getting great results, fast.
Now, the cons. I still had to go with a traditional claybar for some of the smaller areas on the car (they do sell a smaller pad, so that's an option). The pad likes to be kept flat, much like any other PC pad, and it did not do very well around some of the more "contoured" panels (e.g, the rear end). I took a little chunk out of the pad (it looked like a skid mark on the bumper LOL) trying to manipulate it into some of the tight spots there. So, traditonal clay for that as well. I had to actually apply quite a bit of clay lube through the process, so it's going to cost a little more to use on a regular basis (although the Nanoskin pad is advertised to be used "thirty or more times," so there might be cost savings in the end). I did use it on a pretty negelcted white car, so it was hard to tell if the pad itself was causing any kind of additional marring. I did notice some of the contaminants sitting around on the paint after removal, and if they were to get caught up on the pad they're bound to get ground into the clear with the PC. I would be a little hesitant to use it on a black GNX, for example, but with more practice I think I could.
Overall I think the Autoscrub pad saved me quite a bit of time and sweat today. For a car that is already maintained, it might not be a necessary item, but I definitely see myself using this product again.

1987 Buick Grand National

Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:23 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Post Re: Quick product review: Nanoskin Autoscrub pad
sounds good... But scary. Maybe I'll get one for the details that require more than a light clay bar cleaning.

Tom

2011 Corvette GS Conv. Cyber Grey
2002 Avalanche 2500
2009 HD Fat Bob
Carol's Slider...
2015 Subaru Legacy Limited... 3.6 liters of AWD "luxurious" fury.
My Slider...
2013 Chevy Volt... 96hp Generator and "Sport mode"

Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:04 pm
Profile WWW

That's pretty cool.

So the rubber is what takes the contaminants off the paint instead of the clay absorbing it?

Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:48 pm
Site Admin

Yes, this rubber compound is the face of the Nanoskin pad. The contaminants don't seem to get absorbed into the pad like a claybar however. When you're done with the pad, you just wash it clean.

1987 Buick Grand National

Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:22 pm
Profile WWW

That sounds pretty nifty especially if it lasts.

Let us know how it holds up and how it works on a darker colored car.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:09 pm

Steve, feel free to try it out on my TBSS. It needs a good detail before the OCMD Fall cruise lol.

2011 Cadillac CTS-V part time DD / money pit

Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:28 am
Profile WWW