It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:32 am

HP Tuners 

Post HP Tuners
how hard is it to learn how to tune, where do i learn? looking to clean up the current tune that Jeremy Formatto did years ago, and have the ability to tune a new cam/head combo in a year or so. Or should i just pay for a tune from someone that know's what they're doing - aka call Jeremy?

Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:23 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: HP Tuners
If you don't know what you are doing I would not trial and error it. Too easy to cause permanent damage.

2001 Formula Firehawk #293
2002 Trans Am MRM Convertible
2002 Trans Am WS6 #206 346CI of unbridled fury *gone 4 ever*

Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:44 pm

Call Tom, he's got a copy and he's been playing with it. He can give you an idea.

Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:34 pm

I agree on calling Tom - he can give you the low down.

Warning: it is really easy to screw up your tune. There are a lot of parameters in HPT to play with, which is good and bad. I have been debating getting HPT Pro, myself, not so much for WOT tuning but moreso trans tuning and having the ability to get some help remotely. Plus being able to load a base tune in say my high mile 5.3 Silverado and play with it a bit.

You can attend tuning seminars and get formal training, but there is rarely anything local available. However, Sloppy Mechanics hosts tuning classes in Allentown from time to time. I believe they also have some videos available to get you started.

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/sloppymechanics

You'll be into it around a grand with a decent wideband and software. If you buy used, avoid getting ripped off. HPT new comes with 8 credits. A typical GM car will use 2 credits per car. A lot of people try to sell their used modules with only a couple or no credits left and want close to retail for them.

2011 Cadillac CTS-V part time DD / money pit

Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:03 pm
Profile WWW

If you are just looking to clean up a tune, it's not that hard. Starting from scratch is a PITA and can get real complicated.

If you are going to play with the A/F, you really want a wide band, trying to tune off the factory O2s is allot harder.

You need to be able to do data logging also.

The 385 LT1 - Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, stage II heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback, Tuned by me! S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!

Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:33 am
Profile WWW

I've really been thinking about this myself. I took mine to Diablo Formula and didn't have a good experience...

Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:31 pm

Deerslayinrednek wrote:
I've really been thinking about this myself. I took mine to Diablo Formula and didn't have a good experience...

What happened? When did you have your car tuned by Andy? I have a tune by him that is ok. I wouldn't say great, but much better than what I left stoned out Stumps with.

Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:07 pm

I contacted him about my car, it was running fine but I am bracket racing it. I feel like I am chasing the e/t all day I told him I didn't care about how it drove,mpg,or anything other than being more consistent. I mentioned to him what others were doing to make them more consistent and he said yeah we can tune it.

When I got there I had to wait 20-30mins for him to show up. When he did show up he was on the phone for another 10mins. He got off the phone long enough for his buddy to show up and talk to him while he set up his computer. His friend left, he plug the tune in the car and told me to take a trip up an old junkyard road to see how it felt. I said "I doubt I feel anything". He said "you'll feel it".....car drove the same....as I expected it to.

The car is now .05-.06 slower in the quarter
The car is no more consistent
It's just his basic "bolt-on" tune
I asked him to raise the 1-2 shift point and he said he doesn't do that.

If he would have said he was just going to give me a basic tune I would have went to someone else. I'm not saying he doesnt know how to tune, he just didn't do what I specifically wanted

Stump tuned my other car and it was consistent, it's too bad a lot of people had trouble in the end

Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:47 am

I would agree with you on your assesment. The tune I have now is much weaker than I had with Ryan's tune. It is still a quick car but I am betting I lost a good chunk of HP. He seems to have very safe tunes but I am not sure he knows how to make adjustments if anything is out of the ordinary. I will be taking my car to someone else in the near future. I will let you know how they do.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:19 pm

So as a followup to this - I'll pay someone that knows what they're doing. Downloaded a copy and started playing in it. I'd blow up the motor. Thinking I'll go back to Jeremy, or have complete street performance tune it, they seem to have a good rep on the GTO board. Need to figure out a head/cam combo for the winter, and tune it in the spring.

Thinking advanced induction ported 243s, with a small 215ish Cam motion cam. Stock drive-ability, stockish gas mileage, and should put down 425/400, plenty for the street, and a perfect GT cruiser. Essentially what i have now with the current cam, with better drive-ability and gas mileage, with better low torque performance.

Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:29 pm

Having tunes from Stump's, DFR, and CSP - I will say that you can't go wrong with Andrew @ Complete Street Performance. I had some trans tune issues since I got my car back from DFR in May. DFR could not figure them out and had theories and band aids, but nothing worked and I grew frustrated. He originally had a "canned" trans tune from Formato in my car. Well, after much research on 6l80etuning.com on my own, I found the 6l80e/6l90e are totally different animals than the 4l60e/4l80e and just sliding in a TCM tune just won't work. The PCM and TCM need tuned together, torque management needs to be enabled to some degree, and many other quirky things need done.

I went to CSP on the way to OCMD to have my trans tune touched up. Well, he retuned everything, compared the old tune with the new, and sat down with me an explained the differences and why he was doing the things he was. After 2 hours of dyno tuning and then almost an hour on the street, the car is a different animal. Didn't gain a ton up ton versus DFR, he smoothed out the AFR across the board and also added way more power down low and all through the powerband.

I should also note that we thought my trans was toast. It wasn't responding to his tune changes for a good hour and a half. He tried one of the last tricks up his sleeve, put the wizard cap on, and bam the car started shifting like a boss. It's a much different animal now with more street manners and feels good. I'm not 100% sure if the trans is on borrowed time yet, but it didn't slip or puke it's guts out during the weekend workout in OCMD.

On a sidenote, I still have my Fbody project in DFR's shop. I like Andy/DFR, he has tuned my 5th gen and it performed very well with full bolt ons. He tuned my V twice and the engine always ran great. He's a good wrench and makes cars safe and fairly streetable, but needs to hone the craft a bit more. Also, I feel his quality and communication is severely lacking lately as he's letting this social media nonsense take over his life.

Andrew@CSP is a full time tuner. He has quality techs that all have their own lift. Most of the cars that are at the shop for project work or repairs are kept inside. Andrew himself has had 3 V's, X amount of Vettes and Fbodies. Probably other LS-powered vehicles. The shop is pretty tidy and the guys are busy. I had to wait about 2 or 3 weeks out for my dyno appointment. He has a guy put the car on a 4 post lift in front of the roller, and the guy will also take the stock o2 sensors out and inspect for anything funny under the car. Then Andrew will fire up the laptop, do a baseline tune, and start tweaking and will sit with you and explain what he's doing and why. He will then start asking what your mods are and everything, then go to town on the dyno.

Best of luck, let me know if you have any questions.

2011 Cadillac CTS-V part time DD / money pit

Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:06 pm
Profile WWW

Dang, that's some positive feedback for Andrew. Sounds like it's sealed, he'll tune the car. Now to figure out the engine combo.

Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:11 pm