It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:37 pm

Tuner questions?? 

Post Tuner questions??
Has anyone heard anything good or bad about Complete Street Performance in West Chester, Pa or Second Street Speed in Perkasie, Pa. I am looking for someone to clean up the tune on the Corvette and check everything over this spring. Last thing I want is to have something catastrophic happen after not having it for so long. Let me know. Thanks.

Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:28 pm

Post Re: Tuner questions??
I know they use to be a problem. I'm sure their tuning techniques haven't changed much. Maybe get in touch with Andy Jensen? He has Stumps dyno now.....

Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:19 am

Which one used to be a problem? Complete Street or Second Street Performance? Thanks.

Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:25 pm

For some reason I only saw Complete Street in your post. I recall Andrew practicing alot of bad tuning techniques when he first came around. Turning off knock sensors and advancing timing more than it should. Maybe he learned a lot by doing it. Im pretty sure he blew up a car while doing it.

Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:42 am

did some digging around....

http://www.motorcityforums.com/viewtopi ... tor#p10467

Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:58 am

Gotcha. I tried looking up bad things on these guys on google, and I couldn't find anything. I think these guys are small enough that they don't show up on searches. Too many hacks out there. That is the scary part of modding cars.

Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:29 am

Even big name tuners hack tunes. Ive seen it and plenty of people on this forum had it done to them. There are/were threads on LS1tech about how Andrew blew up cars. I remember reading them but magically they went away as i cant find them anymore. It might be a good time for you to learn how to tune on your own? Spending money on some classes and software now might be a cost savings approach in the long run when you continue to modify your cars.

Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:27 am

Harner and I talked about learning to tune our own cars. Trust me, I have been through quite a few tuners now. It is amazing that these places can keep the doors open with the crap they pull. The only issue with tuning yourself is not having a dyno means trying to figure stuff out while driving on the road. Not the easiest thing to do. I just want to get the tune cleaned up enough to sell the car. I really don't want to keep it after what I have been through and plans for something bigger and badder.

Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:52 pm
Site Admin

Pete that is exactly what I did. I had some tune issues lingering with the black vette so I broke down and purchased HPtuners for myself.
I'm in no way a tuner but I was able to clear out my tune issues with the black vette. I fixed my truck tranny tune issues I was fighting for a few years so it paid for itself quick. I also used it to tighten the shifts on the new old avalanche.

I did most of my research on the HP tuners web site and there are tons of tunes in the repository that I could reference to compare. The forum has so much to search on that if you are patient and read through the threads you'll learn quite a bit.

Tom

2011 Corvette GS Conv. Cyber Grey
2002 Avalanche 2500
2009 HD Fat Bob
Carol's Slider...
2015 Subaru Legacy Limited... 3.6 liters of AWD "luxurious" fury.
My Slider...
2013 Chevy Volt... 96hp Generator and "Sport mode"

Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:35 pm
Profile WWW

CSP had some negativity on Tech, I remember that. Most of the shops did, honestly - including RPM, Mikey, etc.

I remember DiabloFormula from Tech. I have gotten to know a handful of guys in the Lancaster area who highly recommended DF. He's also retired military (bonus). I'm going to have him tune the 5th gen in a couple months. He has reached out to me several times to talk about my Trans Am and current issues that need resolution before I take it to DF to get finished/tuned (or other shop depending on tune/experience outcome). Shows promising customer service and responds to my questions in a timely manner. I'll give him a try :thumb

Pete - let me know who you end up going with. I still think Happel would be able to sort out the tune issues.

2011 Cadillac CTS-V part time DD / money pit

Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:36 pm
Profile WWW

Watching this thread..

There's some lingering cold-start and idle issues I need to get addressed.

KTM 200 2-stroke dirtybike that goes Riiiiing-ta-ting-ting-ting

My Psychologist says I have OMD - Obsessive Modification Disorder

stumpsgarage wrote:
I still want your parts, Rich

Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:14 pm

I have a few friends that use Second street for their tuning but they are using Motec boxes. Only thing I know is they are good with those systems but they are not cheap.

If you're in that area you might want to talk with Josh

http://www.jsspeedandcustom.com/

How much work is done to your car?

The 385 LT1 - Supercharged, 3-core front mount intercooler, stage II heads, 3:73's, Street twin clutch, Jethot Longtubes, Mufflex 4" catback, Tuned by me! S+W cage, Spohn Suspenion, Yada Yada Yada

1) Build it
2) Race it
3) Break it
4) Repeat!!!

Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:23 pm
Profile WWW

Typical LS 1 bolt on parts, plus heads, cam, nitrous. I don't think the tune needs much. Ryan seemed to leave it really rich, though. Not sure why, since the nitrous is a wet system. It leaves the back of the car sooty after a drive, and wants to foul out plugs if idled too much. I haven't tried the nitrous, yet, needs a bottle fill.

Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:10 pm

Just thought I'd update the thread with some feedback on DiabloFormula Racing. As some of you may know (from Facebook or wherever), I installed some LT's with cat delete pipes on my 5th gen over the winter. The car had a base tune on it already from Stump after I did a modded intake and ported TB. The experience with DFR was very positive. He is very gifted and motivated. He's also a new business owner as the company just went on the books about a year and a half ago. He's been doing work under the DFR name for 8-10 years, though. He has a nice garage setup and the parking lot is literally door to door with fbodies, Vettes, GTOs, Stangs, V's, old school muscle, and high end imports.

He does not have a dyno and only does street tunes right now. He leaned out my tune but it's still very safe. The car feels transformed with the added power and how buttery smooth the car runs, now. I think with a set of 3.91's, they should have rolled off the assembly line like this. It feels very strong across the power band, not just all up top. The car is just a pleasure to drive, it's hard to explain.

I also did a fluid change on just about everything drivetrain-related. 2010-2011's have real notchy 2nd gears with the TR6060. Not sure why, but the newer 5th gens had a slightly different design. It was really only notchy when cold, also. Everyone on the forum said Redline fixes it, and sure enough, it does. Also, the diff fluid was NASTY. It's permanently burned into my nostrils. Replaced it with Mobil 1 with friction modifier already added and no issues.

Time for a blower.

Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:19 pm
Profile WWW

I had the Corvette tuned by Andy at Diablo Formula Racing. Nice guy and the car seems to run much better. I don't know what Ryan did to his tune but the car used to run awesome. It ran poorly after his retune with the nitrous. Andy said he looked at the tune from Stumps and said the low octane map had higher numbers than the high octane. He said he didn't know what he was doing but it is a good thing I had it retuned. The back of the car was getting black from being so rich, and the plugs kept trying to foul out. None of that now. I am going to change the plugs since I have an extra set just to be safe. I also want to change the oil, since I am sure there is fuel wash out. More to come!

Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:13 pm
Site Admin

My low octane and high octane were exactly the same on my last tune from Ryan. I fixed that myself and some other things after lot's of research. The car runs amazing now! More to come also... Tom

2011 Corvette GS Conv. Cyber Grey
2002 Avalanche 2500
2009 HD Fat Bob
Carol's Slider...
2015 Subaru Legacy Limited... 3.6 liters of AWD "luxurious" fury.
My Slider...
2013 Chevy Volt... 96hp Generator and "Sport mode"

Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:29 pm
Profile WWW

Weird, I wonder why...or maybe I shouldn't :grin

Some of you saw this on FB earlier in the year, but my 5th gen made 412/412 with shorties, stock cats, borla catback, rotofab cai, ported TB, modded intake, and a Stump's equivalent of a basic tune (basically a mail order tune). After LT's, cat delete, and a retune (street tune) by DFR, it made 432/435.

Taking the V to the new dyno in Hamburg PA @ Bruce Henn's Garage for a baseline before I throw some mods at it this winter. Current mods are an Airaid CAI and DFR street tune. The dyno is a Land & Sea chassis dyno that supposedly reads a bit lower than a dynojet and has the latest tech in getting an accurate reading.

For anyone interested, I was told he is charging $75 for 3 pulls and $125/hr for hooking up all his sensors so you can tune it. He does not currently do tuning but will be doing so long term. Gonna see if Andy can meet me there and do some datalogging. :coffee

Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:26 pm
Profile WWW